Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Film Expiry date

  1. #1
    Inactive Member seer4's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2003
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got some K40 and it is like 5 months out of date.

    First off I was angry that I was charged full price for out of date film.. but secondly I was concerned of "any" quality loss. As in anything at all.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You're not supposed to be sold out of date film, but if the Australian company you bought the film from has to eat the investment, they won't carry the film at all.

    Kodachrome film is still in excellent shape even five months after the expiration date. For my own uses, I wouldn't worry even if the film were up to two years out of date.

    However, if someone were paying me for a job, I would test one of the cartridges well before the shoot, or I would stick to stuff within the expiration date to be safe.

    I am under the impression that fresh, fresh, fresh K-40 has less warmer tones than K-40 that is near the expiration date, so being five months past the date is not that big a deal as long as the film was well kept.

  3. #3
    blue demon
    Guest blue demon's Avatar

    Post

    I heard it's the cosmic rays that get it? Is that true? Even in the fridge?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •